Skip To Main Content

Work Permits (Under 18)

All students under the age of 18 are required to obtain a Work Permit.  In order to obtain a work permit/  Students must comply with certain legal regulations stipulated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Work permits are job specific and a new permit must be obtained for each job.  

Middleborough residents must follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a job offer from an employer.
  2. Complete the Employment Permit Application (which may be found here or picked up from the MHS Front Office).
  3. Ask your new employer to complete and sign the “Promise of Employment” section on page 1 of the application.  
  4. Students between the ages of 14-15 need to obtain a physician’s signature on page 2 where indicated.
  5. All students must obtain a parent/guardian signature on page 2 where indicated.
  6. All students must sign the application on page 2 where indicated.  

MHS students should bring the application to the MHS Front Office at the beginning of the school day for completion and processing of the official Work Permit.  If a student is working remotely, they need to call the office to schedule an appointment (508-946-2010).  Office hours are 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.  Vacation and/or summer hours for work permits are 8:00 am – 2:00 pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) and require an appointment. No additional documentation is required for an MHS student. All students MUST be present to sign this document.  No exceptions. 

Students Who Do NOT Attend MHS

Students who do NOT attend a Middleborough Public School must also complete the School Records Form. This form can be obtained on the MHS website or from the MHS Front Office.

For those that do not attend Middleborough Public Schools, the following documents are required at the appointment for the completion of the work permit during the hours noted above:

  1. Employment Permit Application for 14 through 17 Year-Olds.
  2. Photo ID (school ID, driver’s license, or passport)
  3. Birth Certificate
  4. School Record Form to be completed by the Student’s current school (i.e., B-P, Bristol Aggie, private schools)

Working Guidelines for students under the age of 18.

As the summer jobs season approaches, we at the Attorney General’s Office and your superintendent’s office want to make sure that students and their parents and guardians are aware of the laws that are designed to protect young workers.

A Message from The Attorney General’s Office

The Attorney General’s Office enforces laws relating to the employment of workers under 18 and the payment of wages, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Minimum wage. The minimum wage in Massachusetts is $15.00 an hour.
  • Minors younger than 14 may not work. There are few exceptions to this prohibition, including
  • babysitting, working as a news carrier, agricultural work or working in entertainment (with a special waiver).
  • Work permits. Workers under 18 need a new work permit for every job. The application for a work permit must be filled out by the parent/guardian, child and employer and then submitted to the school district where the child lives or attends school. Minors who are 14 or 15 also need a physician’s signature on the work permit. For more information about work permits and to download an application, visit
  • Hazardous Jobs. Teens under 18 years of age may not do certain kinds of dangerous work. For a list of prohibited jobs, please visit the Attorney General’s website (
  • Supervision. After 8:00 pm, all workers under 18 must have the direct and immediate supervision of an adult supervisor who is located in the workplace and is reasonable accessible to the minor, unless the minor works at a kiosk/cart/stand in the common area of an enclosed shopping mall with on-duty security.
  • Legal Work Hours. Massachusetts law controls how early and how late minors may work and how many hours they may work. These laws are based on the minor’s age. For more detailed information, please visit
  • Immigration Status. These protections apply to all workers, regardless of immigration status, including undocumented workers.

Reviewing this information with your child is the first step toward ensuring a safe work experience. If you are concerned about a possible violation of these laws, please file a complaint at, or contact the Attorney General’s Fair Labor Division at (617) 727-3465.

Together, we can help our teens make a safe, informed, and successful transition into the working